Nashira Williams
Week 4
March 2, 2004
First I must say that I am overjoyed to see my family tomorrow. I am flying which is so much better than a 10hr drive. But to get back on subject I went to a nursing home today along with Pastor Spence. Actually half of the vacinity was a nursing home and the other was an apartment building for the elderly. I really enjoyed just listening to the conversations. My cheeks were sore from smiling so much. One of the visits was quite interesting because a woman thought I was one of the nurses. (Apparently all black people look alike.lol) In either case Pastor Spence brought up conversation by asking how they were doing emotionally and health wise. She also prepared a scripture to read to everyone she visited and then we ended our visitations with prayer.
Its hard to see how these people are struggling and they can't do for themselves. Some of them had alzeimers, couldn't walk, or was slightly losing language skills . I could tell for some it was hurtful. Pastor Spence made sure that they didnt feel as if they were helpless or that they were wrong for, instance the woman thinking I was her helper. She talked to each person with such a great joy and I appreciated that. Going to the nursing home made me think of myself at that age. I would love to live till I'm 100 but in actuality do I really. If I have to be dependant on others all day everyday,lose my sight, lose my hearing, or even lose my mind I don't really want to live to be that age unless God wants me too. But I really enjoyed the visitation; I ddint feel uncomfortable at all. I would consider going back on my own and incorporatiing it into a continous communtiy service for my floor next year.
In conclusion, what I enjoyed most about the visit was the oppurtunity to give back The elderly have contributed their lives to so many people. It feels good to dedicate just a bit of my time to make sure they are not alone, bring joy or bring the word.
Week 4
March 2, 2004
First I must say that I am overjoyed to see my family tomorrow. I am flying which is so much better than a 10hr drive. But to get back on subject I went to a nursing home today along with Pastor Spence. Actually half of the vacinity was a nursing home and the other was an apartment building for the elderly. I really enjoyed just listening to the conversations. My cheeks were sore from smiling so much. One of the visits was quite interesting because a woman thought I was one of the nurses. (Apparently all black people look alike.lol) In either case Pastor Spence brought up conversation by asking how they were doing emotionally and health wise. She also prepared a scripture to read to everyone she visited and then we ended our visitations with prayer.
Its hard to see how these people are struggling and they can't do for themselves. Some of them had alzeimers, couldn't walk, or was slightly losing language skills . I could tell for some it was hurtful. Pastor Spence made sure that they didnt feel as if they were helpless or that they were wrong for, instance the woman thinking I was her helper. She talked to each person with such a great joy and I appreciated that. Going to the nursing home made me think of myself at that age. I would love to live till I'm 100 but in actuality do I really. If I have to be dependant on others all day everyday,lose my sight, lose my hearing, or even lose my mind I don't really want to live to be that age unless God wants me too. But I really enjoyed the visitation; I ddint feel uncomfortable at all. I would consider going back on my own and incorporatiing it into a continous communtiy service for my floor next year.
In conclusion, what I enjoyed most about the visit was the oppurtunity to give back The elderly have contributed their lives to so many people. It feels good to dedicate just a bit of my time to make sure they are not alone, bring joy or bring the word.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home