Nashira Williams
Weekly Report # 1
Monday January 30
First meeting to meet common ground and schedule what we would like to accomplish
Prior to this meeting I was able to attend God's Grace Ministries United Methodist Church. I went on a gusty windy and rainy day looking forward to a fairly young or mixed church. Surprisingly as I entered Carter Chapel (on campus) I was greeted by an older couple, approximately 70 or older. I walked farther in to notice that everyone was older and all white. I immediately thought to myself what am I getting into. But thankfully as the service went on I felt comfortable and not feeling so much of an outcast. The people were so welcoming. It was such a coincidence that during the Children's Moment the teacher spoke of the different colors of the world. That was confirmation enough for me to know that this is where God wanted me to be. Furthermore, I felt comfortable because it was much like my first church, which was African Methodist Episcopol. I attended that church in my younger years so I did not know what that meant nor could I pronounce Episcopol. In addition,it was interesting that the worship songs were quite up to date but they had their own traditional twist to it, which I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed the service and the pastor, she is a woman. Woohoo for female pastors! I just enjoyed listening to her because I could hear the presence of God through her and she has a youthful or energetic spirit when she preachers.
So Monday I met with her and she talked about how she ended up with Grace Ministries. We also talked about upcoming events involving the church. In addition she discused her goals for her church. It was interesting that she asked me about the diversity at school and I told her that it was very minimal and at times can be a struggle. But I told her that I had been in almost the same type of environment as IWU, prior to coming here. I guess she wanted to know if I would have any difficulties at her church.
But I am excited to work with a pastor and even more thrilled to work with a female. Im glad that this church was bought to my attention because I feel I can prosper form the wisdom of the members and the pastor.
Weekly Report # 1
Monday January 30
First meeting to meet common ground and schedule what we would like to accomplish
Prior to this meeting I was able to attend God's Grace Ministries United Methodist Church. I went on a gusty windy and rainy day looking forward to a fairly young or mixed church. Surprisingly as I entered Carter Chapel (on campus) I was greeted by an older couple, approximately 70 or older. I walked farther in to notice that everyone was older and all white. I immediately thought to myself what am I getting into. But thankfully as the service went on I felt comfortable and not feeling so much of an outcast. The people were so welcoming. It was such a coincidence that during the Children's Moment the teacher spoke of the different colors of the world. That was confirmation enough for me to know that this is where God wanted me to be. Furthermore, I felt comfortable because it was much like my first church, which was African Methodist Episcopol. I attended that church in my younger years so I did not know what that meant nor could I pronounce Episcopol. In addition,it was interesting that the worship songs were quite up to date but they had their own traditional twist to it, which I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed the service and the pastor, she is a woman. Woohoo for female pastors! I just enjoyed listening to her because I could hear the presence of God through her and she has a youthful or energetic spirit when she preachers.
So Monday I met with her and she talked about how she ended up with Grace Ministries. We also talked about upcoming events involving the church. In addition she discused her goals for her church. It was interesting that she asked me about the diversity at school and I told her that it was very minimal and at times can be a struggle. But I told her that I had been in almost the same type of environment as IWU, prior to coming here. I guess she wanted to know if I would have any difficulties at her church.
But I am excited to work with a pastor and even more thrilled to work with a female. Im glad that this church was bought to my attention because I feel I can prosper form the wisdom of the members and the pastor.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home